The South Wales Junior Cricket League
Producing Test and County Cricketers since 1973
Affiliated to: Cricket Wales
Answers to Quiz no. 1
How much did you score?
1. Following his world record 375 for the West Indies against England at St. Johns in April 1994 Brian Lara joined Warwickshire and featured in another individual world record score. What was his score, against who was it made and on which ground? (3 points) Answer: 501no v Durham at Edgbaston
2. Which all-rounder topped the Notts batting and bowling averages during their championship winning season of 1997? (1 point) Answer: New Zealander Richard Hadlee scored 1075 runs @ 53.75 and took 97 wickets @ 11.89
3. The County Championship was officially constituted in 1890. How many counties took part? (1 point) Answer: Eight
4. Which Glamorgan batsman scored three successive Championship centuries, including two in the match against Northants at Abergavenny in 1997? (1 point) Answer: Steve James
5. Which was Durham's first season in the County Championship and who was their captain that season? (2 points) Answer: 1992, and their captain was current England chairman of selectors David Graveney
6. Which bowler took the most wickets between 1993, when the four-day Championship began, to the end of the 1999 seaon which marked the end of the single-division era? (1 point) Answer: Somerset and England pace bowler Andy Caddick with 422.
7. In the fourth innings of a match which side scored 436 to tie with Kent in 1991? (1 point) Answer: Sussex at Hove
8. Which England wicket keeper took a hat-trick with the ball against Essex at Clacton on Sea in 1965, and which county was he playing for? (2 points) Answer: A.C.Smith for Warwickshire
9. Which Welsh International rugby player captained Glamorgan to their first County Championship on 1948? (1 point) Answer: Wilf Wooler
10. In 1990 which county wicket keeper scored a Championship 100 entirely with the aid of a runner? (1 point) Answer: M. P. Speight 131 for Sussex against Glamorgan at Hove.
11. Who is the latest Glamorgan player to be capped by England in a Test Match? (1 point) Answer: Simon Jones
12. A former Llangennech cricketer represented Wales in their victory over England in 2002. Formerly on the staff at Glamorgan he now represents the Cider county. Who is he? (1 point) Answer: Steffan Jones
13. Which cricketer who played for Glamorgan and moved onto Gloucestershire County Cricket Club is now a member of the Dyfed Powys Police Force and plays for Ynysygerwn C.C.? (1 point) Answer: Mark Davies
14. Which current test umpire scored a century on his debut for Gloucestershire against Oxford University at Oxford in 1965? (1 point) Answer: David Shepherd
15. Who in 1990 became the first batsman to score a triple hundred and a hundred in the same match against India at Lords? (1 point) Answer: Graham Gooch
16. Which current Glamorgan cricketer scored 102 on his debut for the county against Yorkshire in 1985? (1 point) Answer: Matthew Maynard
17. Who holds the record for the most double hundreds in a season, how many did he score, and when was the record set? (3 points) Answer: Don Bradman, Six, 1930.
18. Who holds the record for the most runs scored in a season, how many did he score and in what year? (3 points) Answer: D. C. S. Compton, 3816 runs in 1947.
19. Who was the test umpire that England captain Mike Gatting fell out with during the England tour of Pakistan in 1987? (1 point) Answer: Shakoor Rana
20. What position does former Warwickshire and England cricketer Dermot Reeve's mother hold in first class cricket? (1 point) Answer: She is a first class scorer and has been on England overseas tours.
21. Which former test cricketer, and well known charity walker, set the record for the most sixes in a season with 80 in 1985? (1 point) Answer: Ian Botham
22. What was so unusual about Graham Gooch's dismissal in the test match against Australia at Old Trafford in 1993? (1 point) Answer: He was given out "Handled the Ball".
23. Who in 1956 set the record for the most wickets in a match, with 19-90 against Australia at Old Trafford? (1 point) Answer: J. C. Laker
24. Which County won the 2001 Cricinfo Division One County Championship only to be relegated to Division Two after finishing bottom in 2002? (2 points) Answer: Yorkshire
25. Who did Glamorgan beat to become the 2002 Norwich Union Division One Champions? (2 points) Answer: Kent
How did you rate?
This website was designed, and is maintained by John Davies
© JD 2002-2015 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org